How To Play Music From Phone To Car Without an Aux Connection (2021)
If you have an old car without an aux input, there are still a number of easy ways that you can play music from your phone on your car audio system.
You can do this using either an FM transmitter or a car audio cassette adapter. There are options for both aux cables or BlueTooth connections depending on the model that you get, which covers all types of phones.
You will not get perfect audio quality from either of them, but they are a great way for you to listen to your music on your phone, through your car speaker system without having to replace the sound system in your car.
Play Music From Phone To Car Without an Aux Connection
Using an FM transmitter is a very popular option. You generally connect your phone to the FM transmitter via Bluetooth. The transmitter will then transmit radio waves, which you can tune into on your car radio.
For example, You can set your transmitter to be at frequency FM105 and simply just change your radio to FM105, and then you will get you will be able to play audio in your car!
How do you power an FM Transmitter?
Simply connect the FM transmitter to the power outlet (cigarette lighter) in your car, which powers this.
If you want to power multiple items at once using your cigarette lighter power outlet, then you can buy a separate splitter for this.
If you go for an option like the Nulaxy Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter, then, this has a number of handy buttons that you can quickly alter the songs answer messages, and increase the volume
- Easy to set up.
- It works with all car radios.
- It’s very affordable.
- It uses Bluetooth which works on practically every mobile phone.
- You can also answer calls and change songs.
- There can be some interference: If you have a strong radio wave from a local radio station, then this can sometimes interfere with the signal. In general, the radio wave from the FM transmitter will be much stronger than the other radio waves coming in because it’s much closer, but sometimes you can get a little bit of interference.If that’s the case, then it’s recommended to change the FM radio wave that the Bluetooth FM transmitter is broadcasting, and then change that radio frequency on your radio. If you’re going on a long journey you may need to change the frequency a few times if you’re traveling over a long distance.
- Audio quality not as good as a direct aux connection.
Are FM transmitters legal?
In the US, low power FM transmitters like the option above are perfectly legal. Anything that’s designed for use in a car is general perfectly fine to use. The same rules apply in most countries when it comes to using small fm transmitters.
They are not interfering with radio waves for other people so there should not be any issue.
If you’re using a high-powered FM transmitter, which transmits over a larger area then this could interfere with other radio waves. In this case, you may require a license.
If in doubt, be sure to check with the broadcasting laws of your country.
Car Audio Cassettes to Aux Adapter
If you have an old car with a cassette tape player, then you can play audio through using a car audio cassette to aux adapter.
You simply just put this car audio cassette adapter into the cassette player in your car and it connects to your phone via bluetooth (or using a 3.5 mil jack to your phone if you bought that version fo the car audio cassette adapter).
You can also alternatively get a Bluetooth cassette receiver.
- Works with audio cassette players – even if the radio receiver on your car is broken.
- Pretty decent sound quality: Not amazing but it would do the job quite well and very easy to use.
- They generally don’t have as many features as FM Transmitters do (e.g. change song, answer calls, change volume).
- You need to have a cassette player in your car to use one
Those are two very easy ways to play music on an older car without an older car that does not include an auxiliary input.
You could opt for a cassette aux adapter if you have a cassette player in your car, the benefit of this is that you’re not going to have interference for radio waves.
For all other instances, an FM transmitter is probably the best option to use. It will work with almost every car which has a radio receiver. They are all very affordable options.