How to Find Your AirPods Case (5 Ways)
The best way to find your lost or stolen AirPods case is to use your iPhone’s “Find My” app. You can also access the “Find My” features from iCloud.com on your PC or Mac.
Now, let’s walk you through 5 different ways to find your AirPods case.
- 1. Using the Find My App
- 2. Activating Find My Network
- 3. Playing a Sound on Your AirPods
- 4. Setting an Alert
- 5. Using Lost Mode
- What If Your AirPods Are Offline?
- What to Do If You Weren’t Able to Find Your Lost AirPods Case
- How to Set Up Your AirPods With a New AirPods Case
- How to Prevent Your AirPods Case From Getting Lost
1. Using the Find My App
Using the Find My app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Mac, you can locate where your AirPods are on the map.
- Update your device to the latest version of iOS, macOS, or iPadOS
- Open “Find My” App on your device
- Go to the Devices tab and select your AirPods
- Check if there’s any known location for your AirPods
It’s also worth noting that you can use the Find My service from iCloud.com
2. Activating Find My Network
The Find My Network feature goes one step above the Find My app by providing you with the location of your AirPods case even when your device isn’t connected to an active internet connection.
To turn it on, do the following:
- Go to Settings app
- Tap on your name and choose “Find My”
- Select Find My AirPods and turn it on
- Turn on “Find My Network”
3. Playing a Sound on Your AirPods
If your AirPods case is nearby, you can use the “Find My” app to play a sound on your AirPods. You can choose to either play a sound on your left or right Airpod. All you have to do is open the Find My app, select your AirPods, and tap on “Play Sound”.
4. Setting an Alert
This method requires setting up an alert when your AirPods are with you, so it won’t work if you have already lost your AirPods case.
For iPhone 12 or newer users, you can set up an alert so that when you start moving too far away from your AirPods, you get notified.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Launch the Find My app
- Navigate to the Devices tab and select your AirPods
- From the Notifications settings, select “Notify When Left Behind” and turn it on
Just keep in mind that the alert will only be triggered if you leave your AirPods at an unknown location. So, for example, if you’re at home, you won’t be alerted.
5. Using Lost Mode
Lost Mode is a feature that lets you share a message using your email address or phone number. So, in case someone finds your lost AirPods case, they can contact you when they see the message on their iPhone. Of course, the person who finds the AirPods case must have an iPhone or iPad for this feature to work.
To turn on Lost Mode, do the following:
- Open the “Find My” app
- Under the “Devices” tab, select your AirPods
- Scroll down and activate “Mark as Lost”
What If Your AirPods Are Offline?
If your AirPods are offline, the only way you can find them is by checking their last known location on the Find My app. This will be the last time your AirPods are online (not out of charge).
However, you won’t be able to play a sound, but you’ll be notified whenever your AirPods go back online.
What to Do If You Weren’t Able to Find Your Lost AirPods Case
If you were unable to find your lost AirPods case, you don’t need to buy new AirPods. You can just go to Apple’s website and order a replacement AirPods case at a reduced price.
However, you need to get your AirPods’ serial number to benefit from the replacement service. You should find it on your AirPods box.
How to Set Up Your AirPods With a New AirPods Case
If you got a replacement AirPods case, you’d need to reset your AirPods and repair them to be able to use them to make calls and listen to music. Follow these steps to set them up:
- Open Settings and select Bluetooth
- Click the “i” icon next to your AirPods
- Choose “Forget this device”
- Open your AirPods case and press and hold the circular setup button on the case until the status light flashes white
- A prompt will appear on your device’s screen
- Tap on “Pair”
How to Prevent Your AirPods Case From Getting Lost
Since you carry your AirPods with you anywhere you go, there’s a good chance that you might accidentally drop them. Luckily, there are some ways you can reduce the chance of your AirPods case getting lost.
The first way is to get an anti-lost cover for your AirPods case. These are equipped with straps that you can attach to your keychain or handbag, and the good news is that they’re pretty affordable.
Alternatively, you can get the 2-in-1 protective skin case and put an AirTag inside it. An AirTag will give you a much more accurate location for your AirPods. You can also play a sound with it, even when your AirPods are offline.
That was a brief overview of all the methods you can try to find your lost AirPods case.
Most of the features can be accessed through the Find My app or iCloud.com. Depending on where you lost your AirPods case, you may let it play a sound or locate its place on the map. Of course, hooking up an AirTag to your case would be a good idea, too.