How to Use Apple Earbuds as a Mic on PC
This step-by-step guide will walk you through the process of using Apple earbuds as a mic on a PC. We give separate instructions depending on the type of Apple earbuds and PC model you are using.
Are you using Apple AirPods (wireless earphones)? If so, jump to our section on How to Use Apple AirPods as a Mic on PC.
- How to Use Apple Earbuds as a Mic on PC – At a Glance
- Do Your Earbuds Have a 3.5mm Connection or a Lighting Cable?
- How to Set up the Mic on Your Computer
- How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Zoom
- How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Skype
- How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Discord
- How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Slack
- How to Use Apple AirPods as a Mic on PC
How to Use Apple Earbuds as a Mic on PC – At a Glance
- Determine if your earbuds have a 3.5mm or Lightning cable connection, and use the appropriate adapters if necessary.
- Set up the microphone on your PC by connecting the earbuds and selecting them as the input device in Windows settings.
- Test the microphone to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Specific instructions are provided in the article for using Apple earbuds as a mic on Zoom, Skype, Discord, and Slack.
- Troubleshooting tips include adjusting Windows settings and updating audio drivers.
- For Apple AirPods, follow the Bluetooth pairing process and select them as both audio output and mic input in Windows settings.
Do Your Earbuds Have a 3.5mm Connection or a Lighting Cable?
Before jumping straight to the steps, you must first identify if your earbuds have a 3.5mm connection or a lighting cable.
Earbuds with a 3.5mm connection can be directly connected to your laptop and computer. However, if you are using an old device, you might have to use a splitter.
Similarly, if your earbuds have a lighting cable, you will need a lighting-to-USB adapter to use them.
In case your laptop only includes a USB-C port, you will need a lighting-to-USB C adapter to use the earbuds.
How to Set up the Mic on Your Computer
Connecting the earbuds microphone on your computer is relatively straightforward. The steps may vary depending on your computer and operating system, but the basic principle is the same, which is why, regardless of your device, you will do just fine.
Here is what you need to do to set up the mic on your computer:
- Connect your microphone to your PC by identifying the cables mentioned above.
- Once done, right-click on the Windows icon on your taskbar and select Settings from the list of options available on your screen.
- Inside the Settings window, click on System.
- Locate Sound on the left panel and click on it.
- Now locate Input and click on the drop-down menu under it.
- Finally, select the microphone you want to use from the drop-down menu.
That’s it. Doing so will set up the microphone on your PC.
You can also right-click on the Windows icon and click to the Control Panel section and search for the Sound or Manage Audio Devices section to reach the Input-Output settings window.
If you want to test the installed microphone, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Ensure that the microphone is connected to your PC, and then right-click on the Windows icon on your taskbar.
- Select Settings from the list of options available, and inside the Settings window, choose System.
- Now go to the Sound window and locate Input.
- Under Input, you will find a Test your microphone option. Speak into your microphone and check if the blue bar on your screen is rising or falling. If the bar shows movement, the microphone should be working properly. If it does not, head over to our “Troubleshooting” section below.
How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Zoom
Follow the steps mentioned below to use your Apple earbuds as a mic on Zoom:
- Upon joining a Zoom meeting, your screen will display a window prompting you to test your audio quality. In the window, click on the Test speaker and microphone option.
- Doing so will open a window that will allow you to test your speaker quality. A ringtone will be played into your earbuds. If you cannot hear the ringtone, click No. Alternatively, you can also click on the drop-down menu on the window and select your Apple earbuds.
- Once you hear the ringtone playing in your earbuds, click Yes to proceed.
- The next window will allow you to test your microphone. Try speaking into your mic, and if you hear an audio replay, this means that your microphone is working fine. If not, click on No or expand the drop-down menu to select your Apple earbuds.
- Once you successfully hear an audio replay, click on Yes.
- Lastly, click on the Join with Computer Audio button in the next window.
How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Skype
Here is how you can use your Apple earbuds as a mic on Skype:
- Open your Skype account and click on the More button (three dots) at the top-right corner of your window.
- Select Audio & Video from the left panel and locate the Audio option.
- Under Audio, click on the drop-down menu and choose your Apple earbuds as the default device.
- Once done, you can conduct a test call on Skype to see if the microphone is working fine. You will find the test call option by scrolling down in the same window.
How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Discord
To use your Apple earbuds as a mic on Discord, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open your Discord app and click on User Settings.
- Locate Voice and Video inside the list of options available and click on it.
- Now click on the drop-down menu under the Input Device option and select your Apple earbuds as your input device. You can also test the mic to make sure that the sound quality is fine.
How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Slack
Here is all that you need to do to use your Apple earbuds as a mic on Slack:
- Start a call via Slack and click on the gear icon on the call window’s top-left corner.
- Expand the drop-down menu under Audio settings and choose your Apple earbuds as the default audio device.
- Try speaking something and check if the voice meter shows any movements. If it does, this means the earbuds are working fine, but in case it doesn’t proceed to the “Troubleshooting” section below.
If none of the steps mentioned above did the trick for you, then there is a chance that an error within the operating system is causing the issue. But don’t worry; we have compiled a list of troubleshooting methods that will help you resolve the issue in no time.
Tweak Your Windows Settings
If you cannot use your Apple earbuds as a mic on your PC, then the first thing you should try doing is adjusting your Windows settings according to your preferences.
It is common for the applications mentioned above not to have access to your microphone, and here is how you can resolve the issue:
- Type Settings in your search bar and click on Open to launch the Settings window.
- Next, select Privacy and click on Microphone.
- Now click on the Change button and turn the Allow apps to access your microphone option on.
- Once done, scroll down the window, and under Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone option, give your required apps access to the microphone.
Update Your Audio Drivers
If you haven’t updated your audio drivers in quite a while, now might be the right time to do so. Outdated audio drivers can prevent you from using your earbuds as a mic on your device.
Updating your driver is simple and would not take much of your time.
Here is all that you need to do:
- Type Device Manager in the search bar and hit Enter.
- Locate your PC’s audio driver and right-click on it.
- Click on Update driver and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Once done, try setting up your Apple earbuds as a mic on your PC by following the methods we have mentioned above. You should now be able to connect them without any issues.
How to Use Apple AirPods as a Mic on PC
If you have a set of Apple Airpods, then it’s really easy to connect these to Windows 10.
- Type Bluetooth in your search bar and select Bluetooth and other device settings.
- Ensure that the Bluetooth setting is turned On.
- Click on Add Bluetooth and other devices.
- Click on Bluetooth on the popup windows.
- Ensure that your AirPods are switched on.
- Press and hold the button at the back of your AirPods case to put it into pairing mode.
- When Windows finds your AirPods, it will show up in the Add a Device list.
- Click on your AirPods from this list.
- On Windows, Select Headset as your audio output and mic input. Follow the instructions in the relevant section above to learn how to do this (such as How to Set up the Mic on Your Computer, How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Zoom, and How to Use Your Apple Earbuds as a Mic on Skype).
Now that we have reached the end of this guide, we hope that our methods helped you set up your Apple earbuds as a mic on your PC.
The process is relatively straightforward, so even if this is your first time using earbuds as a mic, you will find your way around easily. If you still have any questions regarding the methods or the troubleshooting steps, feel free to let us know!