The Kalimba is a beautiful instrument that provides pleasant sound and tones which is the main reason why players worldwide are enjoying it. Even though it may not be your first instrument of choice, but in the long run, playing Kalimba will provide your rewarding experience.
If you are new to it, finding the appropriate model of Kalimba can be challenging and you have to understand features and qualities before you make up your mind. That way you will be able to make a quality purchase and find a great little instrument.
You can choose numerous types and models, and that is why we decided to present you with our pick of the five best Kalimbas that you can find on the market.
Our Pick of the Best 5 Kalimbas
1. Mugig 17 Key Kalimba
If you wish to find a high–quality instrument that will provide you peace of mind when it comes to sound quality and playability, you should consider Mugig 17 Key Kalimba. It comes from mahogany, which means that you will get a solid feel and warm tones.
Therefore, it is exceptionally durable when compared with other kalimbas that you can find on the market. At the same time, you should remember that tines come from ore metal, which means that you will get a smooth feel during the performance.
The combination of ore metal and mahogany means that you will be able to enjoy in its durability and long sustain, which is excellent when you have in mind the price tag you will pay for it.
It is both compact and lightweight, which means that you will be able to travel with it wherever you wish to go. Since it comes with an included bag, the portability will be even more convenient. Check this video to learn more about it.
2. Donner 17 Key Kalimba
We have to mention Donner 17 Key Kalimba, which is a fantastic instrument that comprises solid and durable construction so that you can enjoy all the way. It is an appealing choice for both beginners and professional players, which is the main reason for its popularity.
First, it is essential to state that you will get a lightweight and compact instrument so that you can move it around with ease. You will also get transporting bag, which will reduce the hassle during the traveling, and concert plays.
Another selling point of this particular Kalimba is an affordable price tag, which means that you do not have to spare an entire fortune to purchase the first instrument. At the same time, it does not lack in performance and sound quality.
It comes with 17 keys, and they are entirely made from high-end carbon steel that will provide you a combination of superb resonance and beautiful sound. The body is mahogany, and according to most users, it is one of the best choices that you can make.
Check this YouTube video to learn more about this particular instrument.
3. Ammoon 17 Key Kalimba
If you wish to choose a trustable brand according to most Kalimba players and enthusiasts, you should consider Ammoon. This particular manufacturer has two distinct types of Kalimba one with ten keys and 17-key.
Ammoon 17-key Kalimba is fantastic and unique because it comes with African piano wood, which is exceptionally solid and native since Kalimba is an African instrument if we are talking about roots.
Therefore, you can rest assured because you will get the authentic sound that will allow you to learn how to play and to use your skills to further your knowledge.
You will also get three sound holes as well as two at the back so that you can increase the resonance during the performance. The combination of exotica and smooth feeling is something that you will get with this particular Kalimba.
Keys are made from carbon steel tines, which has clear ringing notes and amazing and long
4. Gecko 17 Key Kalimba
The best thing about Gecko 17 Key Kalimba is its design and style, which are highly appealing when compared with other Kalimba models on this particular list. Its attractive design, as well as packaging, will provide you a luxurious feel.
The main reason for delicacy is due to handmade construction. It comes from high-end mahogany that will make the body robust and create a perfect resonance. At the same time, tines come from ore steel, and these two materials in combination create a bright and clean sound.
When it comes to feeling, you will love playing this instrument. Learn how to play it by visiting and watching this particular YouTube video.
The price is moderate when compared with others on this list, and you will get EVA protective box so that you can protect your investment as soon as you start traveling with it.
5. Larkyueqi 17 Key Mahogany Kalimba
Larkyueqi 17 Key Mahogany Kalimba is a high-end instrument made with a mahogany body, and you will also get vibrato holes that will improve sound and resonance. You will be able to cover the holes by using fingers so that you can control the dynamics of sound based on your preferences.
The first impression will be beautiful and delicate. When we add the brightness of sound and color, you will be able to enjoy all the way. Since adjustable springs will help you tune it with ease, you will get a perfect sound that will impress both players and listeners.
It is the lightest Kalimba when compared with others in this particular list, that is because tines come from aluminum alloy, and we all know that aluminum is much lighter choice than carbon steel and other metals.
However, you will still get resonant and rich sound that you can hear by entering this link.
Things to keep in mind when buying a Kalimba
You probably know that you can find numerous types and models of Kalimbas that will appeal to your needs and requirements. Therefore, it is vital to find the one that will provide you with the style that you want:
It does not matter if you are entering the music deal for the first time, or you had previous experiences with Kalimba, you will need to consider a few things. We decided to present to you with everything you should know about Kalimbas before you make up your mind:
- Sound Holes – Sound holes are an excellent and convenient feature that you should consider when buying Kalimba because they will allow you to modulate and control the dynamics of the sound. You can do it by covering holes with your fingers or thumbs and move them back and away.
- Tuning – You should understand that when it comes to tuning, there are two aspects you should remember. The first one is essential because your Kalimba will slip out of tune after prolonged use, and the second one is experimental because it is based on your style. Most brands will include tuning hammer as well as a chart that will help you tune properly. Learn how to tune it on this video.
- Tine Color – Even though the color will not affect the quality of sound, it will play a role in playability. Therefore, when you have painted tines, you will have points of reference during the performance, which is not the case if all tins are the same.
- Wood Type – You can find Kalimbas in different types of woods. The most popular choice is African hardwood Kiaat since it comes in a wide range of colors and styles. Apart from that, they are also made from Sapwood, which is blond, but it can be red and black.
As you can see from everything, we have mentioned above; it is challenging to determine which Kalimba is the best for your particular requirements.
That is why you should check its features, learn more about Kalimbas and how they function because the more you know, the better purchase you will make and that is a fact you should remember.
- High-End Model – For most users, the best choice on the market when it comes to Kalimbas is Donner 17 Key Kalimba. The main reason for that is the perfect ratio of value and price, and the ability to use it for years due to the high-quality materials used for its construction.
- Budget Model – Gecko 17 Key Kalimba is a perfect solution that will provide you the ability to enjoy a fantastic appearance that you can find for the affordable price tag. It is excellent for both beginners and professionals, and it comprises luxurious design and sound quality.
Featured image credit: The original uploader was １３２人目 at Japanese Wikipedia. [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)]